Friday, July 1

Last day in Paris

So today was our last day of sightseeing in Paris and despite another day of scattered showers we definately made the most of it. The only subway that goes by our hostel had an accident and wasn't running, so it took us about an hour to get out of Clichy (where we're staying). First stop was the Arc de Triomphe which was WAY bigger than I ever imagined it would be. We didn't bother to go up, but just the size of it and the intricacy of the carvings was super cool. From there we of course had to walk down the Champs élysées, which made me want to sing and dance (those of you in Mme. Christie's Grade 12 french will understand :p).

After checking out the Latin Quarters we headed to the Catacombs which I think was my favorite in all of Paris. For those of you that don't know what it is, basically, in the 1800s when the cemeteries were getting full they started throwing all the old bones down here. Then some engineer decided it would be cool to make it more organized. So basically its a bunch of underground passageways that are piled with human bones on either side. Its pretty creepy because its all organized and there will be a row of skulls in the middle just sort of staring at you. Does it make me morbid that my favorite part of Paris was all the dead people? Me being the biologist that I am, I had fun figuring out what bones and what joints we were looking at (and explaing to Jus and Graham how the knee joint works, seeing how many times I've been explained that). The majority of them were femurs; I don't know where all the other bones went.

Anyways, we didn't do anything too exciting after that... explored Chinatown a little, but it xas sort of disappointing. Now we're back, but have just heard that there's a Canada Day celebration at the Canadian embassy. If Jus or Graham are up for it we might check it out :-)

Happy Canada Day!!! I hope everyone is enjoying it!!! Thanks to everyone who has left me comments and/or written me emails. I'll respond as soon as I can. Tomorrow we're heading to Avignon for the night and then the beach is waiting!! I'm hoping the weather will clear up before we get there :p

That's all for today!!
Kaila

2 Comments:

At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys have packed a lot into a short time in Paris. You deserve some relax time on the seashore, have fun and I am enjoying the journal. Love Mary

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kaila
I've been reading your notes every day but usually over your mom's shoulder so here's my first reply.
The weblog is great, not just so we don't worry but to kind of travel along with you. Keep it up.
Lesley and Chad arrived at WW Saturday. Sunday I took them to WW Falls then we all went to Norhtport for lobster with the grands. Finaaly a summer weekend.

Have you picked out a hat yet or are you going for the beet face look. I hear its popular in Elbonia.

Anyway. Much Love and enjoy.
Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home