Monday, December 19

Skiing!!!!

Hello there!

So the season has began, and after only 3 days it seems to already be in the full swing of things. Saturday morning we were all up bright and early to head out skiing! It was me, Annaelle (16) and Manu (9) and the skiing was incredible! As a gift to me for coming for the season, the Alps decided to give me a snowstorm to begin the season :-) It started snowing Friday morning and didn't stop until Saturday night, giving us about a foot in total. It was beautiful with perfectly groomed trails in some areas and nice soft powder in others :-) For tourists here, they rent the condos by the week starting on Saturday, so apparently Saturday is the best day to ski because everyone is either arriving or departing and henceforth not skiing, so to top it all off we had the place practically to ourselves :-)

The hill here is arranged completely differently than any hill I've ever been on in North America (which is a lot) because we're surrounded by mountains so there are lifts in pretty much any direction you look in, but also unlike hills at home, each lift doesn't really serve that many trails. So although I have yet to explore the whole area, I wouldn't really say there are more trails than hills that I've been to like Whistler, but it's still incredible and I'm looking forward to a great season!

Saturday afternoon we met up with the girls' older cousin and a couple of his friends and did a bit of skiing with them. Sunday morning I took care of Manu at the house, so didn't get to go skiing, but in the afternoon went skiing with Manu (her father went to a skating competition with Marie for the weekend, so I've been helping to take care of her). Sunday night the fourth and final girl, Manon (18), arrived home for Christmas. I haven't had a lot of time to talk to her but, like the rest of the family, she seems very friendly :-)

This morning was my second day of work where I'm helping a woman, Annie, with cleaning and ironing because she's sick and can't use much of her left side, but this afternoon I once again got to go skiing with the girls, their cousin and a bunch of their friends. It's nice to have some people around, but in such a big group we seem to do entirely too much waiting and discussing and not enough skiing. I'm very much looking forward to having a full day to ski on my own to explore and get lots of miles in.

However, I do not think that is going to happen any time soon because I'm starting to get lots of work! I haven't even left my name anywhere that I want to do babysitting and already I'm getting lots of calls. Tomorrow morning I'm going to take care of a 3 and a half month old baby (I only really said yes because I think babies are so cute!), Wednesday I'm babysitting all day and then Thursday morning I work again for Annie and then Friday I'm babysitting again either all day or just the morning. So there is apparently lots of babysitting to be done and lots of money to be made! I may start saying no to the day jobs though because I'm not really in desperate need of the money and would rather spend my time skiing.

To make a long story short (again I think) the skiing's great, I've been skiing a few times but not enough to satisfy me yet :-P and there's lots of work to be done.

That about sums it up! Talk to you soon!`
Kaila

1 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lucky kaila
wentworth has yet to open but soon if they stop pushing back the opening date. but any way it sounds like yo are going to have an amazing ski season, and try not to get lost out there.have a merry christmas and i hope to talk to you on msn some time between now and new years.

graham, world traveller extrodinaire, july company

 

Post a Comment

<< Home